Your dishes sparkle effortlessly while saving water. Hand washing dishes consumes an average of 30 liters more water with each wash than using a low decibel dishwasher. Therefore, choosing a good dishwasher means gaining comfort and saving water.
One of the most important criteria in the long term is that it is an efficient appliance. This will save energy and liters of water. Consequently, you will save on monthly bills and be more environmentally friendly.
Energy efficiency is measured on a scale from A (highest efficiency) to D (lowest efficiency) and it measures the consumption of the appliance, the effectiveness of washing, drying, water consumption and noise level. Within class A there are also other levels
The data to look at on the energy efficiency label (an estimated 280 washes per year are taken to classify) are as follows:
- It is the brand of the appliance manufacturer. Followed by the specific model.
- The letter of energy efficiency. Measure the value from A to D (as explained above).
- Energy consumption kWh per yearbased on the results obtained in the tests carried out by the manufacturer in a standardized cycle using cold load. The actual consumption depends on the conditions of use of the appliance.
- Water consumption. Theycalculate it by multiplying the dishwasher’s water consumption by the number of washing cycles in a year (an estimated 280 washes are taken per year).
- The letter of drying efficiency. Like point 2, measure the value from A (the most efficient) to G (the least efficient).
- The capacity of the dishwasher. Mark the number of cutlery that can accommodate. By covered is understood the whole set of kitchenware used in a meal per person.
- Check the noise level (in decibels) of the dishwasher in operation. Normal values are understood to be those that range between 45 and 55 db.
Another determining criterion for choosing a low decibel dishwasher or another is the size, depending on the space you have available to place the appliance and the people who make up the family unit, which influences more moderate or intense use.
There Are Dishwashers With Different Widths And Loads:
- Dishwasher of 45 cm: they have capacity for 9 services. Suitable for couples or families of 3 people.
- Dishwasher of 60 cm: they have capacity for 12 services. Recommended for large families or those who make great use of the dishwasher.
- Compact dishwashers: they have capacity for 4 services. They are placed on the counter. Ideal for occasional use.
How to Use the Dishwasher Efficiently?
- Wait until it is full to put it into operation: two half-load washes consume much more energy than a full one.
- Use the energy saving programs you have: they usually take longer, but they wash at a lower temperature, with the consequent saving of 20% in the electricity bill compared to standard programs, so that in the end they are more efficient.
- To think that the important thing is not the washing time but the energy consumption of each wash. Long cycles are usually the most efficient.
- Dry-remove food scraps left in the dishes or containers to be washed. A very common mistake is to prewash the dishes by hand: with that simple gesture more liters of water are spent than in the entire cycle of the dishwasher.
- Correctly place the utensils inside the dishwasher: that the dishes do not touch; the cutlery should go in the specific baskets with the handle down; the blades cannot hit with any container.
- Once the program is finished, it is recommended to wait half an hour to open the dishwasher because the residual heat removes the remains of moisture. Once all the utensils are taken out of the dishwasher, the door must be left ajar so that it is well ventilated.
- The dishwasher needs a minimum maintenance consisting of: cleaning the filter and the detergent dispenser regularly (weekly is ideal); take care and clean the blades annually.